Learn how to shade an object based on surface distance.
- [Narrator] Ambient Occlusion is…a very powerful and versatile affect,…that can be used in many circumstances.…In this case I'd like to employ it…in a shader network to make the recessed areas…of this picture frame darker and less reflective.…Let's open up the Hypershade,…and in the materials tab select,…'picture01_frame_aiStandard'.…Also grab its network…by clicking Input and Output Connections.…To better visualize the Ambient Occlusion affect,…I'll temporarily disconnect the bump to D node,…zoom in in the graph with the mouse wheel,…and position using alt and middle mouse button.…
I'm going to select the connection wire…between bump 2D and picture01_frame_aIStandard.…It's highlighted in yellow and to break the connection…just press the delete key on the keyboard.…Now we can open up the Arnold RenderView.…I want to warn you that sometimes…the Arnold RenderView does not respect the actions…you take in the Hypershade.…It may or may not update when…you make and break connections.…Go into the Arnold RenderView,…here's a close up rendering with no bump map.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Arnold rendering concepts
- Lighting with Maya and Arnold lights
- Controlling exposure
- Filtering light with Barndoor and Gobo
- Light attenuation with decay
- Image-based lighting with SkyDome
- Exterior daylight with Physical Sky
- Arnold standard material attributes
- Mapping material attributes
- Rendering refractions
- Mesh subdivision and displacement at render time
- Shading effects such as ambient occlusion and vertex color
- Camera effects such as fisheye and depth of field
- Animation image sequence rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
Rendering refraction4m 56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.