Define material properties for a liquid.
- [Voiceover] With our Bifrost simulation calculated,…cached, and then saved out to an Alembic mesh,…we can now devote our attention to shading,…adjusting the materials on that mesh…in order to make it look beautiful…in preparation for our final rendering.…In this chapter, I will be using Mental Ray as the renderer.…However, the principals I show you should work…with any other renderer, such as Arnold.…I've got a version of the scene here…in which I have the renderable layers displayed,…that is the lights, and the room, and door most importantly,…everything else is hidden.…
We are using Mental Ray, let's check in on a…very important Mental Ray setting in the render settings.…I've previously chosen Mental Ray as my renderer.…I have a quality setting of only 0.25 for testing purposes.…Most importantly, in the configuration tab,…we need to double check to make sure that…use vertex colors is enabled.…It is disabled by default in the current version of Maya.…In the scene I'm providing it's already enabled,…but in your own scenes, you'll need to go in here…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Understanding Bifröst
- Analyzing the node structure
- Emitting from a polygon mesh
- Colliding with objects
- Pushing and damping fluid motion with accelerators
- Caching Bifröst simulations
- Meshing liquid and exporting to Alembic
- Shading with the Bifröst liquid material
- Designing mental ray materials
- Layering shaders with Bifröst channel data
- Adding mist with an Aero simulation
- Texturing an Aero material
Skill Level Advanced
Maya: Particle and Fire Effects (2011)with Aaron F. Ross3h 46m Intermediate
Maya: Creating Fluid Effects (2013)with Aaron F. Ross2h 16m Intermediate
Maya Dynamics: Creating Simulations (2012)with Aaron F. Ross2h 11m Intermediate
1. Simulating a Liquid
2. Tuning and Storing a Simulation
3. Shading a Liquid
4. Using Bifröst Aero
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.