Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up the scene: Making sure mental ray is an option, part of Advanced Materials in Maya.
- If you're a previous Maya user you may notice…that the Maya 2016 interface is a bit different looking.…Let's take a look at the render settings and I'll show you…how to restore your previous settings as well…as how to edit your settings for what you will need…for this course.…Here we are in the Maya 2016 user interface and we want to…make sure that we have the option to render using the…Mental Ray render engine.…We're going to start by going to the render settings button…which is this one that looks like a movie clacker with…a little blue gear on it.…Click on that, which will pop up our render settings.…
in the render settings you'll notice that we have an…option for "Render Using" and it's set to Maya software.…I'm going to twirl that option box down and you'll notice…that Mental Ray is not there.…Mental Ray doesn't always load when you start Maya.…To make sure that it does, what you can do is go to…Windows, Setting Preferences, Plugin Manager,…and open the Plugin Manager.…Inside the Plugin Manager the option for Mental Ray…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.