Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up render passes, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…As we saw previously, after effects makes it very…easy to color correct and sweeten a 32 bit image.…And we did that with the image based lighting setup.…Here is a single pass rendering of the studio lighting setup.…And what we're going to do next is, create a multi-pass…rendering, to give us even more freedom in compositing and color correction.…We can separate out the diffuse component…from the reflections, the shadows, and so on.…Layer those all in after effects, and apply effects to each…one of them separately, to control their various parameters such as…brightness and contrast, and that way we can completely art direct…the shot basically any way we want after it's been rendered.…
So let's set up render passes in MAYA.…One of those passes should be ambient occlusion.…That way we can control its strength in post.…But currently our material actually has…ambient occlusion included in the shader network.…But we don't actually want to do that in this case.…That would be fine for a single-pass rendering like the one we just saw.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.