Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up a linear lighting workflow, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…To get the full benefit of mental ray we…want to employ something called a linear lighting workflow.…And this is a method for more accurately recording the brightness values of lights.…A standard lighting workflow uses something called gamma correction.…And gamma in this case is not our friend.…Gamma correction is a method for compressing…data in the dark areas of an image.…So if you have a file like a jpg file, less…information is stored in the dark shadows than in the bright highlights.…
Because human beings are less likely to…notice that loss of information in the shadows.…So gamma correction is applied to image files.…By default it's embedded in the files, but we don't want gamma correction in our…lighting if we want to have the…most optimal results or the most realistic renderings.…So, linear lighting workflow behaves more like lights in the real world do…and to do this we want to change a bunch of settings in Maya.…First of all let's go into render settings and…we want to change the mantle ray frame buffer.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
Maya: Lighting and Rendering with mental raywith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.