Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting rotation order in the transform node, part of Cinematography: Maya.
…As we see in Gimbal mode, will help to avoid issues with camera rotations.…But there's one final piece of the puzzle to really optimize…rotations for the camera and let's just set the rotation order.…Let's take a look at what we get with the Gimbal mode alone.…I'll double-click on the rotate tool and make sure…I'm in Gimbal mode and then select my object.…And you'll notice that if I rotate in Y, for example, that the rotational…axes of the manipulator do not remain perpendicular to one another.…They're no longer at right angles.…
Let's take a look at this.…We can see that really in the top view most clearly.…So X and Z are no longer perpendicular to one another.…And if I rotate Y to near 90 degrees or negative…90 degrees then I get into a situation known as Gimble Lock.…In which it's now kind of impossible…for me to rotate in the direction that I want.…Let's say at this stage that I actually want to…do a dutch tilt which means to rotate around Z.…So I'll select that Z axis and then try to turn it, but I'm getting a standard tilt.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Getting the most out of viewport cameras
- Controlling camera attributes such as clipping planes
- Setting display options such as Resolution Gate
- Adjusting focal length and field of view
- Previz editing with the Camera Sequencer
- Setting rotation order for predictable camera animation
- Animating simple camera moves such as pan and dolly
- Mastering compound moves such as crane and handheld shots
- Understanding the Film Back attributes
- Achieving isometric and tilt-shift effects
- Projecting a texture from a camera
- Rendering depth-of-field and rack-focus effects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Viewport Camera Basics
2. Renderable Camera Basics
3. PreVIZ Editing with the Camera Sequencer
4. Simple Camera Movement
5. Compound Camera Movement
6. Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.