Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting clipping plane attributes, part of Cinematography: Maya.
…One of the most common problems that new users to Maya have is that…sometimes they will dolly back in their…scene, and everything in the world will disappear.…And this is a result of clipping planes on the cameras.…Let me illustrate, if I hold down Alt and right mouse to dolly back.…By dolly back enough, you will see that parts of my geometry are disappearing.…The clipping plane…is an optimization method that basically calls off any…surfaces that are further away than a certain distance.…
So that, for example, you have heavy geometry in the background.…Well, if we just clip that off, then we'll have faster performance in the view port.…But it turns out that the default clipping plane values are too low.…They're set to only 10,000 centimeters, which is only 100 meters.…So if you're more than…100 meters away from something, you can't see it because it's being clipped off.…So as I dolly back, you'll see all that's getting chopped out.…So to change the clipping planes, we…want to go to the camera's attribute editor.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Getting the most out of viewport cameras
- Controlling camera attributes such as clipping planes
- Setting display options such as Resolution Gate
- Adjusting focal length and field of view
- Previz editing with the Camera Sequencer
- Setting rotation order for predictable camera animation
- Animating simple camera moves such as pan and dolly
- Mastering compound moves such as crane and handheld shots
- Understanding the Film Back attributes
- Achieving isometric and tilt-shift effects
- Projecting a texture from a camera
- Rendering depth-of-field and rack-focus effects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Viewport Camera Basics
2. Renderable Camera Basics
3. PreVIZ Editing with the Camera Sequencer
4. Simple Camera Movement
5. Compound Camera Movement
6. Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.