Learn about how to select objects in Maya 2018. In this video, George takes a look at the selection tools in Maya. He shows you how to select objects individually with the mouse, how to select multiple objects using the shift key, and also how to deselect objects. He then shows you how to use box and lasso select as well as soft select on objects.
- [Instructor] In order to work with objects in Maya,…you have to select them.…So, let's take a look at how to select objects.…We do it using the select tool.…So, we can find that here, in the interface.…And if we hover over it,…you'll see that the hotkey for that is the letter Q.…Now, selecting can be as simple as left-clicking,…so if I left-click on an object,…it highlights and that tells me it is selected.…If I want to de-select an object,…all I have to do is left-click…outside of any object,…in other words, left-click on nothing,…and that object will de-select.…
Another way to de-select an object…is to select a different object.…So, if I select this chair,…and then go over and select this couch,…the chair will de-select.…Now, if I wanted to select both of them,…I can, but I have to use the Shift key.…So, I can select the chair,…hold down the Shift key, and select the couch,…and now both of these are selected.…Now, notice how the couch has…a different color highlight than the chair.…And that's because the couch is the last object selected.…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor George Maestri show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/15/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Quad Draw, UV mapping complex objects, overrides in Render Setup, working with the Time Editor, and creating animation clips.
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.