Learn about and understand how to select objects in Maya 2017. In this video, George takes a look at the selection tools in Maya. He shows how to select objects individually with the mouse, how to select multiple objects using the shift key and also how to deselect objects. He then shows how to use box and lasso select as well as soft select on objects.
- [Voiceover] Let's take a look at…how to select objects in Maya.…We can select objects using the Select Tool here…so it's this tool here…and if we hover over it the hint will say…that the hot key for this is the letter Q.…So the letter Q always gets us to Select.…Now selecting objects is as easy as left clicking…so if I hover over an object and left click on it…notice how it highlights…and that means that the object is selected.…So if I can select this bush, or the house, or the car…and all I have to do is left click on an object to select.…
Now, if I want to deselect all I have to do is click outside…of any objects, basically click on nothing…and the object will deselect.…Now there are many times…when you'll want to select multiple objects…and we can do that using a couple of methods.…The first one is to use the Shift key…so if I select this bush and hold down the Shift key…I can click on the next one and that will highlight.…I can click on the next one again…and now I have three bushes highlighted.…Now as I do this notice how the highlights change…
It starts with the basics of selecting and manipulating objects and organizing scenes, as you learn the interface and explore Maya's features. Author George Maestri then takes you through polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and NURBS modeling. Once you understand modeling, George will show how to create and apply materials to surfaces—adding color, texture, and reflectivity. He'll then integrate cameras, lighting, and depth-of-field effects into the rendering process, using the built-in software renderer, mental ray, and the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, he'll show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal objects
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Projecting curves on surfaces
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Adding depth of field and motion blur
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Modeling a Cartoon Character in Mayawith George Maestri3h 6m Intermediate
Rigging Mechanical Objects in Mayawith George Maestri1h 27m Intermediate
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. Sculpt Meshes
Sculpt a basic landscape4m 51s
8. NURBS Modeling Techniques
9. Refine NURBS Models
10. Create Materials
11. Apply Materials and Textures
12. Render in Maya
13. Animate in Maya
14. Render in Arnold
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.