Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Scaling time with nCache, part of Understanding Maya nCloth.
I've created this little bouncing ball animation with nCloth, and I want to use…that to illustrate a cool trick you can do with nCache.…To make this happen, I'm going to select that ball, and go up into the nCache menu,…and Create a New Cache.…I'll just play through; take a second to do that.…Now I can scrub across in the timeline, and with that ball selected, I can go…back to the Attribute Editor, and I'm looking for the cache node. Here it is:…nClothShape1Cache1. And there are a lot interesting things you can do in here.…
What I'm really concerned with here is the timing of the animation, and that's…accomplished through this Scale attribute.…This doesn't change the size of the object in the scene,…but it changes how the cache is interpreted in terms of scale of the world.…If we reduce the Scale here to .5, then the cache is going to consider that that…object is now half as big, and that means it'll move twice as fast.…So it only took 36 frames instead of 72 to go through its motions.…
If it had a Scale of 2, the simulation is going to act as if the object were…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Understanding the nucleus solver
- Adopting a scale convention
- Adjusting nCloth and nRigid attributes
- Creating and animating nConstraints
- Editing nConstraint membership and influence
- Smoothing nCloth with subdivision surfaces
- Storing and manipulating simulation data with nCache
- Improving simulation quality and efficiency
- Dressing an animated character
- Painting dynamic attributes such as Stickiness
- Simulating many objects such as falling leaves
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Textures and Shaders in Mayawith Eric Keller3h 30m Intermediate
1. nCloth Basics
2. Simulating Dynamic nCloth
3. Directing nCloth
4. Optimizing Performance
5. Integrating nCloth with Animation
6. Simulating Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.