Learn ways to rotate, scale, and manipulate objects in Maya 2018. This video shows you how to use the rotate and scale tools on objects within Maya. George explains how to rotate and scale things interactively as well as how to manipulate objects precisely along the X, Y, and Z axes. He also discusses the importance of world and object space.
- [Instructor] In addition to moving objects,…we can also rotate and scale them.…So rotate and scale are located here on our toolbox…but we also can get to them through our hotkeys.…Now remember we have some very nice hotkeys here.…We have q for select, w for move,…e and r for rotate and scale.…So I'm going to go ahead and select the rotate tool…and just like with the move tool,…we can just click on any object to select it…and then rotate.…
So I'm going to go ahead and select the couch…and the rotate gizmo is a little bit different from move…in that it has circles rather than arrows.…So I can hover over any one of these circles…and rotate around that axis.…So if I hover over the red circle,…I can rotate around the x-axis.…Blue is z and green is y.…Now if you want to rotate around multiple axes,…you can click in the middle here…and that will allow you some sort of free rotation…which I find is kind of hard to control.…
But notice this little cyan ring around everything…and that basically just continues…to go perpendicular to the camera.…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.