Construct a control for spotlight lens radius.
- [Instructor] For the key line in this triangle set up,…we'll use a spotlight.…It's going to represent direct sunlight…coming through a window over here on this wall.…There are other options for daylight.…Usually you would use a Maya directional light.…Create, Lights, Directional.…If you create that, then it will be internally converted…to an Arnold distant light type.…In this case, we're using a spotlight…because it's easier to arc direct.…
Specifically with a spotlight,…we can control the light coverage in the frame here…without altering the set.…The position of a directional light icon…doesn't affect the lighting.…The light comes from an infinite distance…away from the model.…If we wanted light from a directional light…to reach the interior of the room,…we'd need to cut a hole in the wall.…Since the spotlight emits light from a specific location,…we can place it inside the room…and not have to edit the geometry.…
Another advantage of the spotlight…is that we can add a light filter called a gobo.…This is a cut out or cookie effect…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Arnold rendering concepts
- Lighting with Maya and Arnold lights
- Controlling exposure
- Filtering light with Gobo
- Light attenuation with Decay
- Image-based lighting with Skydome
- Exterior daylight with Physical Sky
- Arnold Standard Surface material attributes
- Mapping material attributes
- Rendering refractions
- Mesh subdivision and displacement at render time
- Shading effects such as ambient occlusion and vertex color
- Camera effects such as fisheye and depth of field
- Animation image sequence rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Studio Lighting
3. Natural and Environmental Lighting
4. Materials and Mapping
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.