Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Rigging the jaw, part of Facial Rigging in Maya.
…Many riggers simply create blend shapes to control the jaw, teeth, and tongue.…But adding joints to these portions of the…face really does give the animator much more control.…In this lesson, I'll quickly review the process…for creating basic direct controls for a skeleton…before we move on to some of the more challenging aspects of a joint base face.…So earlier I created a joint chain for this character's…tongue, adjusted the joint orientation to make sure it behaves properly.…And bound the teeth and tongue joints to the meshes, so I could connect this joint…to a GUI, using an expression as I've done with some of the other facial elements.…
And I've actually written up a quick expression…here in the animation editor's expression editor window.…I've commented out the expression using this slash symbol.…And this is a handy way of temporarily turning off lines of…code or leaving notes for yourself as you work on an expression.…The slash asterisk will actually block out a whole series of lines.…So I'm going to remove all of those and click Edit.…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya Essentials 5: Animation Toolswith George Maestri1h 20m Beginner
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.