Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Rendering to high dynamic range, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…For the maximum level of control over images, you…can render out to 32-bit high dynamic range image format.…And when you do this, you have, so much more data than the standard 8-bit…image that you can push or pull the image just about any way you want.…You can increase or decrease the exposure, the contrast, saturation and so on.…Without incurring any real issues such as image artifacting, banding, or graininess.…So, if you have the opportunity to render out…to a 32 bit image file, you probably should.…
Especially for a still image like this.…It'll just give you way more control.…Maya is very smart about how it handles the difference…between an 8-bit gamma corrected image and a 32-bit linear image.…Basically, if you import any image, Maya will look at that…image and determine its bit depth and assign a color profile automatically.…So if you apply a texture onto a surface and it's an eight-bit tiff,…for example, Maya will look at that and say this is a gamma corrected image.…
If you apply a 32 bit HDR image to an IBL for example, then Maya will…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.