Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Rendering depth of field with the bokeh lens shader, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…To enhance the realism of our product shop, we can add a depth of field effect.…In a real shoot it's hard to make a…miniature look like it's perfectly in focus at all distances.…And if we add the depth of field effect, which is the blurring based upon distance,…then that will actually be a visual cue to the audience that this is a small object.…So adding the depth of field effect actually makes it…looks smaller, because that is what we are used to seeing.…To create the depth of field effect using Mental Ray we'll add a lens shader.…
In the Camera view, click on the Camera…Attribute button or otherwise open the Camera Attribute editor.…Scroll down until you find the Mental Ray section and open that up.…And you will see some options here, environment, volume and lens share.…We want to add a lens share.…Click to create a Render note.…And in the Create Render Note dialogue go to Mental Ray lenses.…And you'll see there are some options here.…We want to choose mia lens bulky.…Click on that.…And now the attribute editor displays the lands bocha attributes.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.