Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Rendering continued, part of Advanced Materials in Maya.
- In this movie I will show you…how to set up the render layers…I use to aid in compositing,…how to set up your final render settings…and as well as how to use…and adjust these render layers…in After Effects.…I'm here in the exercise file 03 10 start.…So now for the render layers,…let's go to our Channel Box/Layer Editor,…and we'll come out here in our perspective view,…and I want to create a beauty layer…for everything that we had to start with.…Our grapes all textured,…our lights are indirect lighting,…our stem and our stage that we have.…
So let's just marquee drag everything in the scene,…and I'm also going to hold down shift,…and just drag and grab that IBL node one more time.…Into the Render Layer tab,…I'm going to click on this particular icon,…that looks like a floor with a ball sitting on it,…for create new layer and assign selected objects.…And we're going to name that from layer 1,…to Beauty.…The next layer we're going to create is called…an ambient occlusion layer.…Ambient occlusion is the phenomenon…when objects get close to each other,…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.