Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Rendering an ambient-occlusion pass, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…Our render passes have completed and as you can see we've got a bunch…of EXR files here including a master…beauty file and that's the single pass render.…That always gets rendered when you render passes.…That's good because we can use that in master…beauty image to compare the before and after to…see the difference between a single pass render and…a multi pass render that's been layered and color corrected.…Okay, so let's go into mia and set up an ambient occlusion pass.…It is possible to render ambient occlusion directly…from the render passes, but it's not an…optimal way to do it because, for exmple,…a transparent object does not contribute to ambient occlusion.…
But if you just render out a render pass, then it would.…And that would be a real issue.…So to get best results for ambient occlusion you'll want to…manually create a special scene that's set up specifically for that.…The first thing we'll do is hide everything except for…the objects that we need to have ambient occlusion applied.…I'll hide the white cards.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.