Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Putting the material back together, part of Advanced Materials in Maya.
- [Voiceover] With all of our layer areas created…and loosely tuned…it is now time to begin building…this material back together.…I'm here in exercise file 03_08_Start.mb.…And let's select our grapes…and look in the attribute editor…for the grape material.…So we have our grape material…and our specularity is already turned on.…We're actually going to want to…rebuild this material from the bottom up.…So with our overall weight…of our specularity set to 0.5…and our primary weight…and secondary weight already set…let's minimize this area and move up.…
We'll start by turning our…back scatter weight back up to 1.0…and we will test our renders as we go up.…So let's open up our render view and do a test render.…So with our test render done…we can see that we have…just a little bit of that…back scatter along the outside edge…and we have our highlights sitting on top.…Let's go up to the subdermal and turn it on.…We had our note down here in the bottom…for our SubD weight set to 1.0.…So let's turn that to 1.0.…save our previous render…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.