Understand the basics of curve projection in Maya 2019. Instead of drawing curves on surfaces, curves can be projected. In this instructional video, George shows how to take a curve in Maya and project it on a surface. He shows how to position the curve properly, then discusses the various projection options before creating a projected curve on surface.
- [Instructor] Another way to put curves on surface…is to project them.…Now this allows you to take a very specific shaped curve…and put it onto any NURB surface.…So let's take a look at how to do this.…So I'm going to go ahead and take this particular object here,…which is supposed to be a fireplace,…and let's go ahead and start by projecting…a simple curve onto this stovepipe.…So first thing I want to do…is go into a side orthographic view port.…
Now when we project curves,…we project along a view port axis.…So it often makes sense to go…into an orthographic view port.…So I'm going to go ahead and just create a simple circle.…So I'm going to go into NURBS primitives, circle,…and create a circle that is within the bounds…of that particular stovepipe.…So I want to make sure it's not too big or too small.…So somewhere around there.…
And when we have it here,…you can see that we've got it here.…So let's go ahead and project that.…Now how we project a curve on a surface…is we select the surface first…and then we shift select the curve.…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.