Join Adam Crespi for an in-depth discussion in this video Planning for optimal texture usage, part of Maya: Game Prop Creation.
In this video, I'll take a good long look at my texture and make a judgment call if …I'm using my texture space optimally. …Right now I'm working in a large image, 1024 square, and the idea is I can take that big …across to Unity and let Unity reduce if needed. …We can set a maximum size for a texture if we want. …What I'll do is get a little bit of woodgrain on. …In the exercises of chapter 5, I'll paint woodgrain with a little more detail, but I'm …going to get some grain on my hammer right now as a proxy, or stand-in, and see if my texture …is the right size.…
I'll put that in and reduce it down as a copy, to 512 x 512, and see if my map still holds up. …We can never economize enough on texture space. …There's always more room to reduce things, and there is cases out there people making …games off one texture. …What I want to make sure of is that my tools look good but I'm not wasting unnecessary …memory by having textures that are too big or I have texture space that's not used well. …
- Planning for modular textures and models
- Blocking out the overall form of a prop
- Moving and sewing UVs
- Laying out UV coordinates
- Texturing with bump maps
- Converting bump maps to normal maps
- Unwrapping and cloning objects
- Breaking up a model for texturing
- Painting textures from scratch
- Adding detail with beveling and extruding
- Baking high poly model onto a low poly model
- Painting in Mudbox
- Importing and assigning objects and maps in Unity
- Adding lights in Unity
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Modeling a Large Prop: Gas Pump
2. Texturing the Gas Pump
3. Modeling Tools and Small Props
4. Modeling Furniture
5. Painting an Old Wood Texture from Scratch
6. Workflow and Integration
7. Sculpting and Painting in Mudbox
8. Ambient Occlusion and Specularity
Painting a specular map6m 48s
9. Importing into Unity and Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.