Join Adam Crespi for an in-depth discussion in this video Painting a specular map, part of Maya: Game Prop Creation.
In this video I will paint a specular map to go along with a color map I have…drawn from the occlusion.…I will do one for the shutter and for the Toolbox.…Specular maps are important. As we can see as I orbit around ,the shine is…uniform on these objects, the color looks like it should vary, and it does…because of the rust in the blue.…But as we spin, with that uniform shine it spoils the illusion.…So painting a good specular map to compliment color and normal is essential.…I will go into Photoshop and use the existing color to paint the specular.…
Here in Photoshop I have got the latest versions of my texture open.…I have got my rusty Toolbox and my shutters up, and I am ready to get a specular…map going for both of them.…To paint a specular map I need to think of where is it shiny and not shiny.…I have got two things going on here in the shutter as an example.…There is the dirt here in the corners, plus there's the scratchiness in the color map.…What I will do for the specular map is to select both layers and press Ctrl+G to…
- Planning for modular textures and models
- Blocking out the overall form of a prop
- Moving and sewing UVs
- Laying out UV coordinates
- Texturing with bump maps
- Converting bump maps to normal maps
- Unwrapping and cloning objects
- Breaking up a model for texturing
- Painting textures from scratch
- Adding detail with beveling and extruding
- Baking high poly model onto a low poly model
- Painting in Mudbox
- Importing and assigning objects and maps in Unity
- Adding lights in Unity
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Modeling a Large Prop: Gas Pump
2. Texturing the Gas Pump
3. Modeling Tools and Small Props
4. Modeling Furniture
5. Painting an Old Wood Texture from Scratch
6. Workflow and Integration
7. Sculpting and Painting in Mudbox
8. Ambient Occlusion and Specularity
Painting a specular map6m 48s
9. Importing into Unity and Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.