Join Adam Crespi for an in-depth discussion in this video Overview of the texturing process and PSD networks, part of Maya: Game Prop Creation.
In this chapter I'll take the gas pump I've unwrapped and look at texture-…painting techniques, starting with a clean texture and then adding in dirt and wear.…I'll construct both the diffused and a normal texture from a bump painted as a grayscale.…I'll also look at a PSD network, a really powerful way of texturing in Maya that…links a PSD file and layer sets into various components in a material, so we can…see all of the parts at once here in our view.…To start, I'll pick my object which has already been unwrapped.…We can delete the history if we need, if we feel it's getting a little bit bulky.…
I can usually tell as I'm scrolling over here in the Attribute Editor.…If I have to scroll a lot, it's time to delete history.…If we delete history, UVs are still on the model. They're baked in.…I'll press Shift+Alt+D and delete that,…so now I'm down to the Transform node, a Shape node, and a material.…I'm going to put a new material on this, right-clicking and choosing Assign New Material.…And I'll put a blinn on, which I'm going to call Gas_pump.…
- Planning for modular textures and models
- Blocking out the overall form of a prop
- Moving and sewing UVs
- Laying out UV coordinates
- Texturing with bump maps
- Converting bump maps to normal maps
- Unwrapping and cloning objects
- Breaking up a model for texturing
- Painting textures from scratch
- Adding detail with beveling and extruding
- Baking high poly model onto a low poly model
- Painting in Mudbox
- Importing and assigning objects and maps in Unity
- Adding lights in Unity
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Modeling a Large Prop: Gas Pump
2. Texturing the Gas Pump
3. Modeling Tools and Small Props
4. Modeling Furniture
5. Painting an Old Wood Texture from Scratch
6. Workflow and Integration
7. Sculpting and Painting in Mudbox
8. Ambient Occlusion and Specularity
Painting a specular map6m 48s
9. Importing into Unity and Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.