Join Adam Crespi for an in-depth discussion in this video Overview of normal maps, part of Maya: Game Prop Creation.
In this video I will give a brief overview of a normal map showing what it does…to the wood table, when I had some relief to the surface.…Right now in the scene, these are flat.…What this means is that although it's got a color in it which looks like wood,…this Blinn material is exactly flat and uniformly shiny.…If I take my light and move it over in the scene, turning on the high-quality…display and pressing 7 to show lights.…When I pull this up, we can see that well it's a flat surface, and as I pull…that light back and forth, we can just see the cracks in the table.…
What we will see in most game objects is that we have a diffuse map and a…normal, so the surface looks like it has some variation Because we are dealing…in low poly objects, we need to make sure they look as well real and textured as possible.…I will go over to Photoshop and make a couple of different maps to illustrate this.…Here in Photoshop.…I've got the Wood texture I had created previously.…What I am going to do is to turn off the dirt and turn off the color, leaving…
- Planning for modular textures and models
- Blocking out the overall form of a prop
- Moving and sewing UVs
- Laying out UV coordinates
- Texturing with bump maps
- Converting bump maps to normal maps
- Unwrapping and cloning objects
- Breaking up a model for texturing
- Painting textures from scratch
- Adding detail with beveling and extruding
- Baking high poly model onto a low poly model
- Painting in Mudbox
- Importing and assigning objects and maps in Unity
- Adding lights in Unity
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Modeling a Large Prop: Gas Pump
2. Texturing the Gas Pump
3. Modeling Tools and Small Props
4. Modeling Furniture
5. Painting an Old Wood Texture from Scratch
6. Workflow and Integration
7. Sculpting and Painting in Mudbox
8. Ambient Occlusion and Specularity
Painting a specular map6m 48s
9. Importing into Unity and Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.