In this chapter, I'll look at modeling small tools and props like we would find in a game. …Very often in the game, we're going to need a bunch of things left around, whether it's …for the player to find or simply to add to the ambiance of the place. …As an example, I'm going to have these tools maybe strewn around going to the doors of …my abandoned gas station I made in the Game Environments course. …I might need one of these to get into a gas pump to dig out something, or to open up a door to go in. …What we need to think of when we are modeling tools like this is there's a good chance that the …player is going to hold onto it, …and we might need to see it fairly close-up.…
However, there's not a lot of detail on these necessarily. …We need to make sure that the silhouette really holds true. …We can also get away with not too many polygons on round elements--again, because they are fairly small. …We need good reference to start with, just like with any other model. …We need to know not only how do they look clean, but how do they get dirty or worn down. …
- Planning for modular textures and models
- Blocking out the overall form of a prop
- Moving and sewing UVs
- Laying out UV coordinates
- Texturing with bump maps
- Converting bump maps to normal maps
- Unwrapping and cloning objects
- Breaking up a model for texturing
- Painting textures from scratch
- Adding detail with beveling and extruding
- Baking high poly model onto a low poly model
- Painting in Mudbox
- Importing and assigning objects and maps in Unity
- Adding lights in Unity
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Modeling a Large Prop: Gas Pump
2. Texturing the Gas Pump
3. Modeling Tools and Small Props
4. Modeling Furniture
5. Painting an Old Wood Texture from Scratch
6. Workflow and Integration
7. Sculpting and Painting in Mudbox
8. Ambient Occlusion and Specularity
Painting a specular map6m 48s
9. Importing into Unity and Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.