In this chapter I'll look at Ambient Occlusion and Specularity as a way to add…realism and detail to a model.…We can model high-res objects and use the occlusion from them on low-res pieces…to look like they have more detail.…In previous videos, I have painted in things like rust and dirt and wear, such as on the gas pump and tools.…In this video, I'm going to take things like my shutter here and my Toolbox that's missing its…handle and use the Ambient Occlusion as a foundation for dirt and rust.…I'll do this in two different ways.…
For the Toolbox I'm going to put a ground plane under it and render the occlusion into the UVs.…What we will get there is black on the bottom, which is okay, but more…importantly, occlusion that rises up the sides of this Toolbox in a place that…we naturally see rust if this was left out.…For the shutter I have modeled a high-res shutter, and while the poly count on this…is ridiculous to use in a game,…it provides a terrific high-res source to bake occlusion.…I can then put that occlusion onto a low- res box, and it will look like that shutter.…
- Planning for modular textures and models
- Blocking out the overall form of a prop
- Moving and sewing UVs
- Laying out UV coordinates
- Texturing with bump maps
- Converting bump maps to normal maps
- Unwrapping and cloning objects
- Breaking up a model for texturing
- Painting textures from scratch
- Adding detail with beveling and extruding
- Baking high poly model onto a low poly model
- Painting in Mudbox
- Importing and assigning objects and maps in Unity
- Adding lights in Unity
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Modeling a Large Prop: Gas Pump
2. Texturing the Gas Pump
3. Modeling Tools and Small Props
4. Modeling Furniture
5. Painting an Old Wood Texture from Scratch
6. Workflow and Integration
7. Sculpting and Painting in Mudbox
8. Ambient Occlusion and Specularity
Painting a specular map6m 48s
9. Importing into Unity and Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.