Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Optimizing Final Gathering, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…The final step in setting up our lighting is appropriately named Final Gather.…Final Gather is a global illumination technique which simulates…the way that light bounces off of diffused surfaces.…And we don't actually have very…much diffuse component to this particular scene.…As I mentioned before, it's almost all shiny, reflective surfaces.…So, in this case, Final Gather is less…important than it would be in some other case.…If your product was something like a cereal…box then Fiinal Gather would be really important.…
Here it's less so but we still want to…enable it because its going to add a little…bit of light to our scene and its going to give us just a little bit more of realism.…Currently it's disabled.…So lets take a look at our rendering with Final Gather disabled.…We'll click in the camera view and render that view.…Once again, that took about 30 seconds to render it with Final Gather disabled.…I want to store that image.…And so that we can really get a clear sense of the lighting in…this scene, I do want to do another…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
Lighting and Rendering with mental ray in Mayawith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.