Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Maya: Advanced Materials.
- Well, our journey is complete,…and I had a great time creating this course…and hope that you've expanded your understanding…of the creation process of Advanced Materials in Maya.…Now, we didn't have time to cover every shader…in Maya or Mental Ray,…but you should now have the basic skills and confidence…to look into any shader and break it down…into smaller pieces in order to learn how to use it.…Maya is a large and complex program…and can be a bit intimidating…when trying to learn something new.…Be it modeling, lighting, texturing or animating,…my advice to you is to always remember…work on small projects…with as few objects as possible…when learning a new tool, workflow or technique.…
Not biting off more than you can chew…will help you not get overwhelmed by all the moving parts…of a larger project while trying to learn.…Always make the small projects look as good as you can,…and then, once you've mastered that something new,…you'll be better prepared to incorporate that technique…or those elements into larger projects.…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.