Join Adam Crespi for an in-depth discussion in this video Modeling a sledgehammer, part of Maya: Game Prop Creation.
In this video, I'll dive into modeling my sledgehammer to start. …I'm going to model a short handle, maybe a 3- or 5-pound sledgehammer, like we can see here. …I need to keep the geometry minimal, as I may have lots of tools like this around, …so getting the silhouette and the major contours right is important. …I'm going to estimate that this is probably maybe a foot tall or 14 inches, by about five …or six wide, and maybe two or three across. …I'll go into Maya and start out a bounding box first. …I've got a clean scene here in Maya, and I'm going to turn on my grid to provide a quick …visual reference where 0, 0 is.…
I'll hold Shift and right-click and start out by making a poly cylinder. …I'm working in centimeters to start. …As the default Maya units are centimeters, I'm going to change this over to inches. …Remember, I can always remeasure something when I export, converting to meters as needed. …I'll go into Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences and under Preferences in settings, …
- Planning for modular textures and models
- Blocking out the overall form of a prop
- Moving and sewing UVs
- Laying out UV coordinates
- Texturing with bump maps
- Converting bump maps to normal maps
- Unwrapping and cloning objects
- Breaking up a model for texturing
- Painting textures from scratch
- Adding detail with beveling and extruding
- Baking high poly model onto a low poly model
- Painting in Mudbox
- Importing and assigning objects and maps in Unity
- Adding lights in Unity
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Modeling a Large Prop: Gas Pump
2. Texturing the Gas Pump
3. Modeling Tools and Small Props
4. Modeling Furniture
5. Painting an Old Wood Texture from Scratch
6. Workflow and Integration
7. Sculpting and Painting in Mudbox
8. Ambient Occlusion and Specularity
Painting a specular map6m 48s
9. Importing into Unity and Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.