Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Modeling an environment sphere, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…Because the watch model is going to have a highly reflective chrome material applied…to it, we need to create some kind of environment for it to reflect.…If we try to render this with no environment, then most of the surface of…the watch would show up as black, because…it's trying to reflect stuff that's not there.…We need to provide some kind of environment for it to reflect.…There are multiple ways of doing this.…For example, we could go into the hyper shade and create…a shading network that had an environment map integrated into it.…
However, I think the most intuitive, and really the best way to…do this, is with a piece of scene geometry that's fully self-illuminated.…In other words, we can create a sphere that's…lit from within and not affected by scene lighting.…And we can also make it so that sphere doesn't appear…in the actual rendering, so we'll still have a black background.…The reason that I think that this is a better way to do it…is because we can see and select that environment directly a the view port.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
Lighting and Rendering with mental ray in Mayawith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.