Understand and become proficient with symmetrical modeling within Maya 2017. In this video, George demonstrates ways to model symmetrical objects in Maya. He uses the reflection tools to manipulate a symmetrical model. He then shows ways to attach models together that have been modeled in halves.
- [Voiceover] Many times, we'll be modeling things…that are symmetrical.…And when that happens, it may make sense…to just work on half of a model,…and then mirror the other half later.…So we're gonna show you how to do that process.…We'll start with working on one half of the model.…So I'm gonna turn off my reference here.…And you can see that this car is…actually very symmetrical left to right.…So I'm going to do something pretty radical here.…I'm gonna go into face mode,…and I'm gonna select the entire right side of that car.…
And I'm gonna delete it.…So I'm gonna hit the Delete key,…and that deletes all of those faces.…So now I just have the shell of the left side of the car.…And let's go ahead and just do some modeling on this.…I'm gonna just create the wheel well…for the front of the car.…So I'm gonna go into my side view…and turn on my reference.…And so in order for this to happen,…I need some addition detail.…So I'm going to insert some edge loops here.…I'm gonna insert some horizontal edge loops.…
One along the very top of this wheel well,…
It starts with the basics of selecting and manipulating objects and organizing scenes, as you learn the interface and explore Maya's features. Author George Maestri then takes you through polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and NURBS modeling. Once you understand modeling, George will show how to create and apply materials to surfaces—adding color, texture, and reflectivity. He'll then integrate cameras, lighting, and depth-of-field effects into the rendering process, using the built-in software renderer, mental ray, and the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, he'll show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal objects
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Projecting curves on surfaces
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Adding depth of field and motion blur
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Modeling a Cartoon Character in Mayawith George Maestri3h 6m Intermediate
Rigging Mechanical Objects in Mayawith George Maestri1h 27m Intermediate
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. Sculpt Meshes
Sculpt a basic landscape4m 51s
8. NURBS Modeling Techniques
9. Refine NURBS Models
10. Create Materials
11. Apply Materials and Textures
12. Render in Maya
13. Animate in Maya
14. Render in Arnold
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.