Learn how to use background reference images as a modeling aid within Maya 2019. In this video, George starts modeling an object against the reference images. He shows how to model without selecting the reference as well as how to accurately position the geometry in the model against the reference.
- [Narrator] With our reference in place…we can now start to model.…Now typically in Maya we'll start…with a primitive object and then reshape…that to the reference, and than we'll start to use more…and more tools to refine that shape.…Now for this model here, I want to model just half of it.…Now this model is symmetrical…so I'm just going to work on one side of it…and than we're going to mirror that over later…to create the other side.…
And that way both sides will be identical.…So the first thing I want to do is create a primitive.…Now when I create a primitive I probably…should be in a orthographic view port,…so I'm going to hit my space bar.…Go out to my 4 view and than…lets go into a-our front view.…So I'm going to draw a box that…represents the lower portion of this arm here.…And so we're going to do create,…Polygon Primitives, Cube, and I want to make sure…interactive creation is turned on.…
So when we do that, it gives me this little icon…and I can left-click and drag.…To drag out the basic shape here,…now remember we're only doing half.…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.