Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Mirroring asymmetrical shapes across the midline with wrap deformers, part of Facial Rigging in Maya.
…Another challenge with facial rigging, is…managing the creation of asymmetrical blend shapes.…Sculpting a blink for just one eyelid for example, can take a fair amount of…time, and creating an identical shape for the…other eyelid, is an even more tedious process.…But the Wrap Deformer and blend shade tools,…can help ease this process, allowing the technical…director to focus on just one side of…the character, while the other side is automatically updated.…So I've created a left blink target for my character and I want to create a…right blink variation, but I don't want to…go through the process of sculpting this all manually.…
Initially, you might think that you can just duplicate this…shape, scale it by negative one in x and plug…it into the source mesh to get your right blink,…but that actually doesn't work, and I'll show you why.…I'll select the left blink, go to Edit> Duplicate.…Move this off to the side, scale it by negative one.…I'll call this right blink test…and connect it to my source shape by Shift selecting…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya Essentials 5: Animation Toolswith George Maestri1h 20m Beginner
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.