Learn about and understand ways to mirror geometry within Maya 2019. When working with symmetrical objects it is often advantageous to mirror one half of an object to create the other half. This video shows the process of mirroring geometry in Maya and ways to connect together the two halves.
- [Instructor] Now when we model symmetrically,…we will have to create the symmetrical opposite…of our model, such as this base and arm of the chair.…And go ahead and merge those together.…Now there are a number of tools that Maya has…for mirroring objects, as well as tools…for merging and connecting objects together.…So let's go ahead and take a look at the first one,…which is just Mirror.…Now, I'm going to go ahead and select this object, and go…into Face Mode and let's just select all of these faces.…
Now, when we want to make something symmetrical,…we don't want a row of faces down the middle,…so I'm going to go ahead and just delete those.…And then go back into Object Mode.…And the command we're looking for is Mirror.…So I'm going to find that under Mesh, and let's go ahead…and take a look at the options.…Now, with Mirror, we have a bunch of options here.…One is whether or not we want to cut the geometry.…And that means that if these overlap,…it will cut out these faces, so this is going to…do the operation that we just did.…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.