Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Measuring with the Distance Tool, part of Cinematography: Maya.
…We've enabled the depth of field effect, and now we…want to find the focus distance from the camera to the…characters, in order to animate that distance and create what's known…as a rack focus effect with an animated depth of field.…And we need to find the distance from…the camera's film plane to each of the figures.…And we can actually do that by moving the…camera's aim point, that's one way of doing it.…However, if we do that, then we will lose…our framing, so let's take a look at that method.…
I'll select the camera, and you will see in the channel…box, in the Camera Shape node, there's something labeled Center of Interest.…That's telling me how far away the aim point is from the camera's film plane.…So, if I go over here to one of the ortho views, like the…side or top view, I can select that center of interest, or aim point.…And move it, let's say,…to Walter's face.…And as you can see, of course, that changed the framing, here.…But I need to exactly measure the distance to…his face, and then I can select the camera again.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Getting the most out of viewport cameras
- Controlling camera attributes such as clipping planes
- Setting display options such as Resolution Gate
- Adjusting focal length and field of view
- Previz editing with the Camera Sequencer
- Setting rotation order for predictable camera animation
- Animating simple camera moves such as pan and dolly
- Mastering compound moves such as crane and handheld shots
- Understanding the Film Back attributes
- Achieving isometric and tilt-shift effects
- Projecting a texture from a camera
- Rendering depth-of-field and rack-focus effects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Viewport Camera Basics
2. Renderable Camera Basics
3. PreVIZ Editing with the Camera Sequencer
4. Simple Camera Movement
5. Compound Camera Movement
6. Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.