Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up the matte material render layer, part of Maya: Advanced Materials.
- Now that all of our basic materials are created,…we need to set up our scene to render them so that…they can be used in a composite software like After Effects.…I'm using After Effects in this course,…but these Render Layers and Render Settings…can be used in any other compositing software.…I'm going to begin with exercise file 0207*…and go to the Render Layers tab…in the channel box layer editor.…In the channel box layer editor we have multiple tabs…with Display, Render, and Animation.…We're going to actually click on the renderer…and start creating our Render Layers.…
I'm going to change our view to the perspective view…by spacebar-clicking, choosing Maya,…and going to Perspective, so that I can see everything…in our scene and make selections easily.…I'm going to marquee drag all of our objects,…including our camera, and I'm going to hold down Shift…and do one more marquee drag in the back to make sure…that we select our IBL node or Image Based Lighting node.…With all of those selected, I'm going to go back…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.