Get an in-depth look at pivots in Maya 2018. A pivot is a user-defined point on an object within Maya that allows you to specify the center of rotation and scale as objects are manipulated. George shows you how to find the current pivot, as well as how to move the pivot to any point in 3D space using a simple key command.
- [Instructor] When you rotate and scale objects in Maya,…you rotate and scale them around the object's pivot point.…Now that pivot point is determined…by how the object is modeled,…but you can also manipulate those as well.…Now, we have this turntable here…and so let's go ahead and select…the platter of the turntable.…Now when we do, go into move mode by hitting W,…you'll see that the pivot for this platter…is pretty much centered.…
So if I were to go into my rotate tool…and rotate this around Y, the platter spins…basically the way that we expect it to.…Now, these nobs don't have their pivots in the right place,…so I kind of move the pivots of these nobs,…so if we select this object and go into move mode,…you can see the pivot fairly clearly…and you can see that it's actually off…of the center of this nob,…so if I were to say, rotate this,…it rotates around that center, not the center of the object.…
Now we can fix this using a couple of different methods.…For an object like this it's probably easiest…just to center the pivot, the object is symmetrical…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.