Learn about the strengths and limitations of Arnold.
- [Instructor] Let's get acquainted with Arnold.…We'll learn a little bit about our new friend…and its strengths and limitations.…Arnold is the default production renderer,…so when you click render in Maya, Arnold is invoked.…The old software renderer is still available,…but it is no longer being developed,…and it certainly doesn't have any of the advanced features…that Arnold offers.…As the new production renderer, Arnold replaces Mental Ray,…but it's more than that, because in many ways,…Arnold is an upgrade.…
It has capabilities and ease of use that were lacking…in legacy versions of Mental Ray.…Invidia is still actively developing Mental Ray,…and it is available as a Maya plugin…with a licensing scheme similar to Arnold.…The free versions of Arnold and Mental Ray…allow interactive rendering on a single workstation.…We'll talk more about that in a moment.…Arnold is a software product developed…by the Spanish company Solid Angle, and in 2016,…Autodesk acquired Solid Angle,…and now Arnold is finding its way…into various Autodesk products.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Arnold rendering concepts
- Lighting with Maya and Arnold lights
- Controlling exposure
- Filtering light with Gobo
- Light attenuation with Decay
- Image-based lighting with Skydome
- Exterior daylight with Physical Sky
- Arnold Standard Surface material attributes
- Mapping material attributes
- Rendering refractions
- Mesh subdivision and displacement at render time
- Shading effects such as ambient occlusion and vertex color
- Camera effects such as fisheye and depth of field
- Animation image sequence rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Studio Lighting
3. Natural and Environmental Lighting
4. Materials and Mapping
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.