This video covers Arnold strengths and limitations.
- [Narrator] Let's get introduced to Arnold.…Learn a little bit about it and what its strengths…and limitations are in Maya 2017.…Arnold is the new production renderer…so when you click render in Maya…Arnold will be invoked.…The old software renderer is still available…but it is not longer being developed…and it certainly doesn't have any of the advanced…features that Arnold offers.…As the new production renderer, Arnold replaces…mental ray.…Mental ray is available from Nvidia as a plugin…that you can purchase separately from Maya.…
The base package of Maya 2017 includes the Arnold plugin…and allows rendering on a single work-station.…We'll talk more about that in a moment.…Arnold is a software product developed by…the Spanish company Solid Angle…and in 2016 Autodesk acquired Solid Angle…and now Arnold is finding its way…into various Autodesk products.…Arnold has many strengths relative to competing renderers.…You'll notice right away that Arnold excels…at photorealism and it is very fast.…
Arnold is also extremely flexible.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Arnold rendering concepts
- Lighting with Maya and Arnold lights
- Controlling exposure
- Filtering light with Barndoor and Gobo
- Light attenuation with decay
- Image-based lighting with SkyDome
- Exterior daylight with Physical Sky
- Arnold standard material attributes
- Mapping material attributes
- Rendering refractions
- Mesh subdivision and displacement at render time
- Shading effects such as ambient occlusion and vertex color
- Camera effects such as fisheye and depth of field
- Animation image sequence rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
Rendering refraction4m 56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.