Illuminate an interior with a Skydome.
- [Narrator] Rendering photo metric daylight interiors…in Arnold can be challenging.…An effective workflow is actually simpler than it seems.…All that's really necessary is a skydome light…with medium to high render samples.…We just need to be aware that our…render times will increase accordingly.…If you need fast renders…then create a studio lighting setup as we saw…in the previous chapter.…The Arnold product documentation…warns that skydome importance sampling…is not optimized for interiors…and that you should use light portals over the windows…to remove noise or grain in the rendering.…
You can find light portals in the Arnold menu under lights.…Light portal.…Let me explain to you precisely why…you should not do what the manual says…and don't use light portals.…A light portal is a simple rectangle like a quad light.…It's purpose is to focus computation…by tracing rays from objects…through the windows and out to the skydome light.…You see in ray tracing the rays start from the camera…hit the scene objects…and then bounce off those objects…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Arnold rendering concepts
- Lighting with Maya and Arnold lights
- Controlling exposure
- Filtering light with Gobo
- Light attenuation with Decay
- Image-based lighting with Skydome
- Exterior daylight with Physical Sky
- Arnold Standard Surface material attributes
- Mapping material attributes
- Rendering refractions
- Mesh subdivision and displacement at render time
- Shading effects such as ambient occlusion and vertex color
- Camera effects such as fisheye and depth of field
- Animation image sequence rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Studio Lighting
3. Natural and Environmental Lighting
4. Materials and Mapping
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.