Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Increasing efficiency with proxy collision objects, part of Learning Maya nCloth 2012.
A simple way to improve performance is to use proxyCollisionObjects.…Using a high detail mesh as a collision object is unnecessary, because it's just…going to bog down the system, and your simulations will run more slowly.…Currently, what I've done here is I've got a dining table that's a high…detail mesh, and I've also made a proxy version that's just made out of simple primitives.…This one here; let's check its Polygon Count. Display > Heads Up…Display > Poly Count.…
It's 30,000 triangles, so that's kind of heavy.…Turn that back off again; Display > Heads Up Display > Poly Count. And I have…put that on a layer.…Let me just hide that layer, and show you I created a very similar version that's…just super low polygon, and that's just there for collisions only; it won't be…in the rendered movie.…So let's see what the performance gain will be.…Here is my cloth. I am going to go ahead and make that into an nCloth.…nMesh > Create nCloth. Select it, and go into the Attribute Editor, and for the…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Understanding the nucleus solver
- Adopting a scale convention
- Adjusting nCloth and nRigid attributes
- Creating and animating nConstraints
- Editing nConstraint membership and influence
- Smoothing nCloth with subdivision surfaces
- Storing and manipulating simulation data with nCache
- Improving simulation quality and efficiency
- Dressing an animated character
- Painting dynamic attributes such as Stickiness
- Simulating many objects such as falling leaves
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Textures and Shaders in Mayawith Eric Keller3h 30m Intermediate
1. nCloth Basics
2. Simulating Dynamic nCloth
3. Directing nCloth
4. Optimizing Performance
5. Integrating nCloth with Animation
6. Simulating Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.