Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Increasing Locator Scale, part of Cinematography: Maya.
…When you first create a camera, it will…only be a few centimeters in size, which will…make it difficult for you to operate the camera,…because it'll be so small relative to other objects.…So we need to make the icon of the camera larger, and this is a case…where in Maya if you just follow your…instincts, you'll get into a lot of trouble.…Because most people will simply select the camera,…and then grab the scale tool and then scale…it up to whatever size it needs to be. However, this is a very bad thing to do.…
And the reason is that if you scale the camera, strangely that transform will…be propagated and inherited by attributes that you would never expect it to be.…For example, if you use an environmental effect such as distance…fog, and you scale the camera, then that will change the actual…distances at which your fog will begin and end.…So for example, let's say I said I want my fog to start at…100 units away, but I've scaled the camera up to, let's say, five and five.…
Then that means that the fog will actually start at…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Getting the most out of viewport cameras
- Controlling camera attributes such as clipping planes
- Setting display options such as Resolution Gate
- Adjusting focal length and field of view
- Previz editing with the Camera Sequencer
- Setting rotation order for predictable camera animation
- Animating simple camera moves such as pan and dolly
- Mastering compound moves such as crane and handheld shots
- Understanding the Film Back attributes
- Achieving isometric and tilt-shift effects
- Projecting a texture from a camera
- Rendering depth-of-field and rack-focus effects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Viewport Camera Basics
2. Renderable Camera Basics
3. PreVIZ Editing with the Camera Sequencer
4. Simple Camera Movement
5. Compound Camera Movement
6. Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.