Illuminate a scene with a spherical panorama.
- In this chapter,…we'll explore techniques…for natural and environmental lighting.…The primary tool for that is the Arnold Skydome light.…It provides environmental illumination…that can be mapped with a high dynamic range image.…This is the preferred method of image based lighting…in Arnold.…Material emission, the Arnold mesh light,…and the AI sky environment can also provide a form of…IBL, but they are not optimized for that purpose.…
The skydome light produces much less…grainy results at lower sample rates.…Let's get a rendering of this stylized outdoor scene…with focus on the camera view.…Go into the menus and choose Arnold, render.…The Arnold render view opens up,…but we have a black screen because no lights…have been added to the scene yet.…Go back into the menus and choose Arnold, lights,…skydome light.…
A sphere appears at the origin,…and that's the AI skydome object.…And now we see illumination in our Arnold render view.…The skydome provides illumination in all…of the render components, such as diffuse,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Arnold rendering concepts
- Lighting with Maya and Arnold lights
- Controlling exposure
- Filtering light with Gobo
- Light attenuation with Decay
- Image-based lighting with Skydome
- Exterior daylight with Physical Sky
- Arnold Standard Surface material attributes
- Mapping material attributes
- Rendering refractions
- Mesh subdivision and displacement at render time
- Shading effects such as ambient occlusion and vertex color
- Camera effects such as fisheye and depth of field
- Animation image sequence rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Studio Lighting
3. Natural and Environmental Lighting
4. Materials and Mapping
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.