Join Eric Keller for an in-depth discussion in this video Identifying ambient and reflection occlusion, part of Creating Textures and Shaders in Maya.
Ambient occlusion is actually a lighting concept that describes the darkening of…surfaces in crevices and areas were two surfaces meet.…So in this render you can see ambient occlusion shadowing appears as the…surfaces get close together or in these corners.…Fewer photons of light actually reach these areas of the surface and so you…see it as darkening.…This is known as ambient occlusion shadowing.…It's something that happens usually in an ambient lighting environment like an overcast day.…Now this is a lighting concept, but mental ray allows you several options for…creating ambient occlusion.…
You can create it as part of the lighting setup or you can actually build it…within your shader network, or you can actually do both at the same time.…So this is a concept that's important to understand because it affects the…lighting on the surface and it also affects the way light is reflected from a…surface, because this is an example right here of ambient occlusion shadowing.…But there is also the concept of reflection occlusion.…
- Understanding shading concepts
- Simulating the Fresnel effect for realistic reflections
- Rendering transparent and translucent surfaces
- Comparing mental ray and Maya standard shaders
- Introducing the mia_material
- Developing shader networks
- Using subsurface scattering shaders
- Mapping polygon UV coordinates
- Incorporating texture nodes into networks
- Improving skin detail with ambient occlusion
- Painting bump maps
- Creating normal and displacement maps
- Troubleshooting maps
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Ninness11h 14m Beginner
Creating Natural Environments in Mayawith Aaron F. Ross4h 18m Intermediate
Maya: Lighting and Rendering with mental raywith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Shading Concepts
2. Shading in mental ray
4. mental ray Texture Nodes
5. Creating Surface Details with Textures
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.