Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Hiding the ViewCube, part of Cinematography: Maya.
…The Maya Viewport has an interface element known as the ViewCube.…And you can see it here.…Throughout the course so far, I've had the ViewCube…disabled, and I recommend that you disable it, as well.…Because, in fact, it tends to cause a lot more problems than it solves.…Its intent is to allow you to easily move…to one of the six cardinal directions in 3D space.…But what tends…to happen is that there's a mismatch between the name…of a camera and the actual view seen in that camera.…
In the perspective view, I can click on the ViewCube.…Let's say I click on Front here.…And it moves the perspective camera very far…away to enclose all the geometry in the world.…And I can click on these arrows to go to different views.…The left view, back view,…top view, and finally back home again, which would…take me very close to the center of the world.…I can Alt and Right mouse to dollie back out.…So the ViewCube tends to work mostly okay in the perspective view as long as you…don't mind getting moved all the way out to examine all the geometry in your scene.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Getting the most out of viewport cameras
- Controlling camera attributes such as clipping planes
- Setting display options such as Resolution Gate
- Adjusting focal length and field of view
- Previz editing with the Camera Sequencer
- Setting rotation order for predictable camera animation
- Animating simple camera moves such as pan and dolly
- Mastering compound moves such as crane and handheld shots
- Understanding the Film Back attributes
- Achieving isometric and tilt-shift effects
- Projecting a texture from a camera
- Rendering depth-of-field and rack-focus effects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Viewport Camera Basics
2. Renderable Camera Basics
3. PreVIZ Editing with the Camera Sequencer
4. Simple Camera Movement
5. Compound Camera Movement
6. Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.