Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up the matte material render layer, part of Advanced Materials in Maya.
- So I'm here in Maya in exercise file 03_02_Start.…Let's take a look around the scene before we dive…into the subsurface scattering material.…We have three grapes on a simple stage…and the overall look that I'm going for with the material…is that of a professional photo studio…just like the examples here.…You can see that we have a fairly white, flat background,…and very bright overall lighting.…We'll go back into Maya…and we can see that we have a locked camera…so that we can test the renders…from the same angle each time.…
Our stage and grape stem already have their material set up…and are textured so that we can focus…just on the grape body material.…The first thing we need to do is to create a light…that will allow us for fast test renders.…Later in this course we will create…an area light for more realistic lighting.…The light that we're going to start with…is a directional light.…It's a very simple light to use…and the position and the scale…do not have any changes on the effect of the light,…just the rotation.…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.