Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Focusing the lights, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…With our area light rigs created, let's now place them, and…focus them so that they are shining down on to the models.…To make it easier for us to see, let's hide the environment sphere.…Go to the Layers, and toggle the visibility of the environment layer.…Additionally to make these white cards easier to…see, we can change their display layer color.…Go to White Card Layer and Double-click on that and choose a different color.…Let's do this light blue here, click Save, now that's a little bit easier to see.…So we can move these around we want to select the area lights.…
And we can dolly back a little bit in the top view, and grab the move…tool, and push these back until they're about…20 or 30 centimeters away from the origin.…And we're creating a basic flood lighting scenario here.…We'll surround the subject, our model, with these three lights.…Let's take a look at this from the side view.…Let's go in the front panel here and load in the side view.…Go to Panels>Orthographic>Side.…Dolly back a bit.…And we want to select all three of these area lights.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.