Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Finessing joint placement and rotation using driven keys, part of Facial Rigging in Maya.
…Even with careful skin weighting of the facial joints, deformation in some regions…of the face may not appear completely…natural when certain blend shapes are activated.…This is usually due to the linear nature of blend shape transitions and the…fact that the facial joint orientation does…not change when blend shapes are triggered.…But by adding a few driven keys, we can quickly and…easily finesse the joint behavior to produce the desired deformation result.…If we compare the movement of the low poly…structure that's supporting the joints for our character, with the…deformation that we're getting on the final mesh, you can…see that there are some areas that are not consistent.…
The eyes seal completely when this character…blinks on the low poly support structure.…And the shape of the jaw maintains a consistent…volume, which is different on the final bound model.…The reason for this is because the joints are…not changing their orientation as the jaw swings open.…Instead, the rivets are maintaining a constant orientation…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya Essentials 5: Animation Toolswith George Maestri1h 20m Beginner
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.