Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Fine-tuning studio lights, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…Our materials are in pretty good shape, and so we can finalize the lighting.…We'll also make some adjustments to the environment and the camera angle.…First, the lighting.…I want to actually hide this center.…White card.…Because I've decided that it was creating too much…of a reflection on the surface of the front here.…And it was obscuring the environment.…So it was making it less interesting rather than more interesting.…But I did like the two side white cards.…So I'll keep those.…I'm going to unreference the white card layer.…
Select that center white card and just hide it.…Set its visibility to zero.…And then for the lights themselves, I want to unreference their layer as well.…The center light has got a scale of ten, I'm going to leave that.…The side lights I want to change, though.…I want to scale them down a little bit and make them a bit more focused.…I'll select those two with control shift and set their scale to five in X Y and Z.…And because we've scaled those down we should…probably scale the white cards down as well.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
Lighting and Rendering with mental ray in Mayawith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.