Become familiar with and learn about ways to extrude geometry along a path in Maya 2018. In this video, George shows you how to take a simple curve and use that as a path along which geometry can be extruded. This is a great technique for creating complex shapes using a few simple objects in Maya.
- [Instructor] There are many places in Maya…where you have to use multiple objects to create geometry.…So let's take a look at some of that process.…We're going to use a curve to guide and extrude.…So, I have a simple object here…which is a cup.…And we want to create a handle for that.…And that handle will be defined by this curve.…Now this is just a simple nerves curve.…And I'll show you how to draw those in just a bit.…So, just go ahead and use the curve here.…
Now in order to do this, all I have to do…is select the component…I want to extrude…and then select the curves.…So the curve has to be selected last.…So I'm going to right click above the cup.…Select face.…And then pick the face that I want to extrude.…And then I'm going to hold down the Shift key…and select the curve.…Now notice how the curve is highlighted in green,…and that's because it's the last item selected.…
So once we have these, all we have to do is…do an edit mesh…extrude.…And we get something.…Now by default, extrude only has one division.…And so what we have here…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.