Become familiar with and learn about ways to extrude geometry along a path in Maya 2017. In this video, George shows how to take a simple curve and use that as a path along which geometry can be extruded. This is a great technique for creating complex shapes using a few simple objects in Maya.
- [Voiceover] Now we're gonna take a look…at how to use multiple objects to create geometry.…We're going to extrude along a path.…Now, we're familiar with the extrude tool…but we can also use a curve to guide an extrude.…So here I have a simple object and we're gonna use…this to make a door handle for the car.…But I've also drawn a curve.…Now I'm getting a little ahead of myself…but we'll learn a lot about curves in the nurbs chapters…which are just coming up.…
So, I have this curve and I have this object.…Now, I want to extrude these faces along the curve.…So I'm gonna go into face mode, shift…select these faces and then shift select the curve.…The curve is selected last so it is green.…Then, all we have to do is go edit mesh component, extrude.…So this is the same as the extrude command.…Now this looks a little funky, but…that's because we only have one division.…
In order for us to match this curve,…we're gonna need a lot more than that.…So, I'm going add a couple of divisions here,…say about eight or nine and…
It starts with the basics of selecting and manipulating objects and organizing scenes, as you learn the interface and explore Maya's features. Author George Maestri then takes you through polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and NURBS modeling. Once you understand modeling, George will show how to create and apply materials to surfaces—adding color, texture, and reflectivity. He'll then integrate cameras, lighting, and depth-of-field effects into the rendering process, using the built-in software renderer, mental ray, and the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, he'll show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal objects
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Projecting curves on surfaces
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Adding depth of field and motion blur
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. Sculpt Meshes
Sculpt a basic landscape4m 51s
8. NURBS Modeling Techniques
9. Refine NURBS Models
10. Create Materials
11. Apply Materials and Textures
12. Render in Maya
13. Animate in Maya
14. Render in Arnold
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.